twitter - Men vs. Women: Plastic Surgery Statistics facebook - Men vs. Women: Plastic Surgery Statistics linkedin - Men vs. Women: Plastic Surgery Statistics plusone - Men vs. Women: Plastic Surgery Statistics pinterest - Men vs. Women: Plastic Surgery Statistics email - Men vs. Women: Plastic Surgery Statistics

Although it might seem that men are catching up quickly, when it comes to having plastic surgery, this is still a woman’s game by a very large margin. The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) reveals from its 2014 plastic surgery statistics that women accounted for 92% of all cosmetic procedures, with the remaining 8% going to men. These demographic trends spell it out in big numbers this way: 13.6 million total cosmetic procedures were performed for women in 2014, while 1.3 million total cosmetic procedures were recorded for men. That means both women and men were seeking plastic surgery as well as non-invasive cosmetic treatments.

Non-Invasive Treatments Attracting Both Sexes

Plastic surgery is still a huge business no matter which sex is yielding to the scalpel or the needle. Americans are interested in looking their best. In fact, the number of cosmetic procedures done in America has grown a whopping six-fold since 1997. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery noted that cosmetic enhancement jumped from 1.7 million to 10.6 million (a slight dip from 2013), costing Americans $12 billion.

Long gone are the days when patients merely went in for a face lift and then went home to recover. To improve upon the look, plastic surgeons and dermatologists have become extremely talented in adding facial fillers to further enhance their surgical work and give the face a more youthful, natural appearance with attractive contours.

Injectables Influencing Cosmetic Plastic Surgery Trends

Injectables containing fillers or fat have exploded on the scene, and these treatments have given way to new trends like the famous Kardashian behind. The numbers don’t lie, because the largest jump in 2014 was in buttock augmentation, which sky-rocketed 86% compared to 2013, according to statistics compiled by the ASAPS.

Top Procedures

Although women may rule plastic surgery headlines, men also want to project a better self-image. The ASPS released these 2014 trends citing the top male-­focused procedures:

1. Pectoral implants (1,054 procedures – increased 208 percent from 2013 to 2014)
2. Male breast reductions (26,175 procedures in 2014 – increased 29 percent since 2000)

For women, the top five cosmetic surgical procedures of 2014 included:

  1. Breast Augmentation
  2. Nose Reshaping
  3. Liposuction
  4. Eyelid Surgery
  5. Face Lift